This blog will guide through the installation and configuration of the BO Mobile application on a mobile device. The guide will not include steps to install the server side of a BO Mobile solution.
Supported platforms of mobile devices
The following platforms of mobile devices are supported by SAP BO Mobile XI 3.1 SP3:
- – Blackberry OS v4.1, v4.2, v4.3, v4.5 and v4.6
- – Symbian Series-60 3rd Edition
- – Windows Mobile v5.0 with .Net Compact Framework v2.0 or above
- – Windows Mobile v6.0 and v6.1
During my experimenting with BO Mobile, I was successful in installing it, configuring and using it without a problem also on BlackBerry Torch (BB 9800) which runs on a higher version of Blackberry OS than what’s mentioned above.
The following guide will use BlackBerry Torch.
First check the TCP/IP settings of the mobile device and set the APN value so the device can connect to internet.
Installation of the BO Mobile application
1) Use an internet browser in the mobile device and open the page where Mobile OTA was
http://<IP address>:<port number>/MobileOTA
Note: It is important to use exact lower and upper case characters in the word MobileOTA
2) If the server recognized a type of the mobile device then there will be only one link displayed for downloading the relevant version of the SAP BusinessObjects Mobile application.
However, if the server did not recognized the device type (that’s the case of BlackBerry Torch) then there will be shown the following links:
Select one of them based on your type of the mobile device.
3) You might be prompted to allow downloading of an application from internet. This depends on the mobile type.
4) BusinessObjects Mobile application will be downloaded from internet into the mobile device and installed.
5) Depending on the type of the mobile device, a restart of the device could be necessary after the installation of the application.
6) You can close the web browser if the restart was not needed.
Configuration of the BO Mobile application
1) Start the newly installed application SAP BusinessObjects Mobile.
2) The login screen opens.
3) It’s important now to open the application menu. Use BB button in case of BlackBerry devices. In case of Nokia, the menu button is displayed in the lower-right corner of the display.
4) Select Connection settings option from the menu.
5) Use the following values for the connection parameters:
a. Mobile Server: <IP adress>*
Note: It’s an IP address of the mobile server followed by an asterisk. The asterisk is required when you are connecting to internet directly with a Direct TCP connection. If you use BlackBerry Internet Server (BIS), use “!” instead of “*”.
b. Port nbr: 11011
Note: 11011 is the default port on which the BO Mobile server is listening. If you changed this port on the server side, use the changed value also in this configuration.
c. CMS name: <IP address>:6400
Note: This is the IP address of your CMS followed by the port number (6400 is the default).
d. Auth. Method: Enterprise
Note: Leave Enterprise unless you want to test other authentication methods first.
6) Save these connection settings. In case of a BlackBerry device, press the BB button and then select Save from the displayed menu. In case of a Nokia device, the Save button is displayed in the lower-right corner of the display.
7) You are back in the login screen now.
8) Close the application.
9) Start the BO Mobile application again. Use your BO username and password in the login screen and then select Login from the menu.
10) You are logged into Business Objects via the BO Mobile application and you should see the folder structure of BO reports that you are allowed to see and use.